We are searching data for your request:
Upon completion, a link will appear to access the found materials.
LPG or methane car: advantages and disadvantages of the two gaseous fuels and parameters to choose well according to your needs.
Let's talk about car! If we are faced with the choice between power aLPG or methane, there are many factors to consider. In our article "Better a car running on LPG or CNG? "we talked about objective factors such as costs per kg / liter, fuel yield, greenhouse gas emissions, road safety and plant costs.
Today let's try to ask the same question by making a mere comparative calculation, so as to compare the fuel costs of a 'carpowered byLPG and methane, incomparisonwe will also involve petrol and diesel in order to make a more informed choice.
LPG and methane, differences and comparison
Let's compare these two diets and analyzeadvantages and disadvantages.
TheLPG car, as well as those amethane, are marketed asbi-fuel, i.e. they are able to work with two types of power supply. Among the bifuel vehicles there are numerous vehicles on the market powered by LPG-petrol or Methane-Petrol. In recent years, some models of bifuel cars have arrived where the gas supply is flanked by the diesel one.
CNG cars, disadvantages and advantages
Methane has been present as a fuel since the 1930s. The main advantage is the low cost of the fuel.
Even if the price of methane that you see displayed in the service station seems high to you, know that it is a price per kg.
On the surface, LPG may seem cheaper than methane but it is not. The cost of LPG is expressed per liter while that of methane per kg. One kg of methane is equivalent to more than one liter. This means that with one kg of methane we can cover an average of 1.6 times the distance that we can cover with a liter of petrol.
Even if methane sees a strong economy, there are disadvantages.
With methane fueling, there is a sharp drop in engine performance in terms of recovery: if you choose a methane car, don't expect a bright and snappy car! The main disadvantage, however, is another: the gas cylinders for methane fueling must be replaced every 4 - 5 years.
LPG cars, advantages and disadvantages
This fuel is more expensive than methane but seems to be the ideal compromise. It stands as a middle ground between expensive gasoline and very cheap methane. Here too the performance of the engine is penalizing, but not as much as the methane fueling would do.
Compared to methane, it has the advantage that here, the gaseous fuel storage cylinders must be changed every 10 years.
LPG or methane car, how to choose
In order not to risk making bad choices, before buying a LPG or CNG system it is important to make some considerations bearing in mind your needs and driving habits. Try to answer the following questions to see if it is for youbetter LPG or methane.
How do you drive?
If your driving is sporty, the choice of power supply should fall on diesel or petrol while if you are very cautious, green light for methane and LPG. If you are looking for compromises, theLPGit produces about double the amount of energy produced by themethane, in fact, a methane car will lose a lot of power but will gain efficiency: one kg ofmethaneguarantees a yield equal to that of 1.58 liters of petrol.
How many kilometers a year do you do?
To choose betweenLPG or methane, you can ask yourself another question: "over a year, how much I want to spend on fuel? ". If you travel 30,000 kilometers, on an annual basis, the cost to be faced with an engine that travels 8 km with a liter is approximately 6,683 euros if you drive acarpetrol. The price drops to 5,426 euros if the power supply is diesel but the most considerable savings are found with themethane, in fact, with this power supply, to travel 30,000 kilometers, you need “only” 2471 euros, against the 3,256 euros of LPG.
It is clear, themethaneis the one that offers greater efficiency even if the cost per kg ofmethaneis greater than that for each liter ofLPG. Even the cost of installing amethane systemit charges more than the LPG.
New car or aftermarket system?
How much is the initial cost for the installation of the system aLPG?And the one for themethane? Based on the kilometers you travel, how long will it take to recover the money from the initial investment? If, on the other hand, the car is new, amethaneor aLPGthat is, how much does it cost you more than petrol / diesel? Based on your kilometers traveled, how long will it take to recover the initial investment? By answering these questions you will be able to understand which diet is right for you.
List of methane cars for sale in 2017
The methane supply has a more limited number of models than LPG.
- Audi A3 Sportback G-Tron
- dr Evo5 1.6 16V 126 Bi-Fuel Methane
- dr5 1.6 16V 126 HP Bi-Fuel Methane
- dr5 Cross 2.0 16V 139 HP 4WD BiFuel Methane
- Fiat Panda Natural Power
- Fiat Punto 1.4 8V Natural Power
- Fiat Qubo 1.4 8V Natural Power
- Fiat Doblò 1.4 T-Jet Natural Power
- Fiat 500L 0.9 TwinAir Natural Power
- Fiat 500L Living 0.9 TwinAir Natural Power
- Lancia Ypsilon 0.9 TwinAir Methane
- Mercedes B 200 c
- Opel Combo Tour 1.4 ecoM Turbo 120 PC-TN
- Opel Zafira 1.6 T EcoM 150 CV
- Seat Leon 1.4 TGI (5 doors and wagon)
- Seat Mii 1.0 68 CV Ecofuel
- Skoda Citigo 1.0 68 HP G-Tec
- Skoda Octavia 1.4 TSI G-Tec (sedan and wagon)
- Volkswagen Caddy 1.4 TGI
LPG car list on the market in 2017
The Subaru XV LPG with 2.0 cc boxer engine manages to develop a power of 148 cc placing itself as the most powerful LPG car.
- Alfa Romeo MiTo LPG
- Alfa Romeo Giulietta LPG 1.4 Turbo
- Citroen C3 PureTech 82 LPG
- Citroen DS3 LPG 1.4 VTi
- Dacia Dokker 1.6 8V 100 CV S&S LPG
- Dacia Sandero 0.9 TCe 12V T-GPL 90 S&S
- Dacia Logan MCV 0.9 TCe 12V 90 T-GPL S&S
- Dacia Lodgy 1.6 100 CV S&S LPG
- Dacia Duster 4 × 2 LPG 1.6
- dr Evo5 1.6 16V 126 HP Bi-Fuel LPG
- dr Zero 1.0 Bifuel LPG
- dr5 1.6 16V 126 HP Bi-Fuel LPG
- dr5 2.0 16V 139 HP 4WD BiFuel LPG
- Fiat Panda 1.2 EasyPower LPG
- Fiat 500 EasyPower LPG 1.2
- Fiat Punto 1.4 8V 5p. Easypower LPG
- Fiat 500L LPG 1.4 T-Jet
- Fiat Tipo 1.4 T-Jet 120 HP LPG (4 doors, 5 doors and station wagon)
- Ford Ka 1.2 8V 69 HP LPG
- Ford Fiesta LPG 1.4 16V
- Ford Focus 1.6 120 HP LPG
- Ford Focus Wagon LPG 1.6
- Ford B-Max 1.4 90 HP LPG
- Ford C-Max 1.6 120 HP LPG
- Hyundai i10 1.0 LPGI Econext
- Hyundai i20 1.2 Econext LPG
- Hyundai ix20 1.4 90 CV Econext
- Kia Picanto 1.0 12V EcoGPL
- Kia Rio 1.2 CVVT 5p. ECO LPG
- Kia Venga 1.4 EcoGPL
- Lancia Ypsilon 1.2 69 CV 5p. LPG Ecochic
- Mitsubishi ASX 1.6 2WD LPG Bi-Fuel
- Mitsubishi Outlander 2.0 LPG Bifuel
- Mitsubishi Space Star 1.0 LPG bi-fuel
- Nissan Micra 1.2 12V 5p. LPG Eco
- Nissan Juke 1.6 LPG Eco
- Nissan Note 1.2 12V LPG
- Opel Adam 1.4 87 CV LPG Tech
- Opel Corsa 1.4 LPG
- Opel Insignia 1.4 T LPG Tech (with sedan and wagon body)
- Opel Karl 1.0 73 HP LPG
- Opel Meriva 1.4 T 120 CV LPG Tech
- Opel Mokka X 1.4 T GPL Tech 140 CV
- Peugeot 208 PureTech 82 LPG
- Renault Clio TCe 12V 90 HP LPG S&S 5p
- Ssangyong Korando 2.0 GPL
- Ssangyong Tivoli 1.6 128 HP bi-fuel LPG
- Ssangyong XLV 1.6 2WD Bi-fuel LPG
- Subaru Forester 2.0i BI-Fuel
- Subaru XV LPG 1.6 110 hp
- Subaru XV LPG 2.0 from 148 hp